Marriage in a Church of England church is by the rites and ceremonies of the Church of England.  Currently, anyone who lives in the parish may marry in the Parish Church (including those who have been married or civilly partnered in the past, as long as that relationship has been annulled or a divorce has been declared).  Others may also marry in the church if they have a "Qualifying Connection" with the church.  Here are the qualifying connections:

  • One of the couple was baptised in the parish (by a Church of England service/form of baptism)
  • One of the couple has been confirmed (by a Church of England service) and the confirmation is entered in St John's parish register.
  • A parent or grandparent was married in St John's
  • One of the couple has had their usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 Months, even if they no longer reside in the parish now.
  • A parent has had his or her usual place of residence in the parish for at least 6 months.
  • One of the couple has habitually attended public worship at  St John's for at least 6 months either recently or in the past
  • A parent has habitually attended public worship at St John's for at least 6 months

There is a list of streets in the parish on the Welcome page.

Unfortunately, the Church of England does not yet have ceremonies to marry same sex couples.  However the vicar and PCC of St John's welcome enquiries from same sex couples who would like a service to celebrate their love, including civil partnerships.

If you would like to enquire about marriage or a service to celebrate a civil partnership at St John's, or you need to arrange for your banns to be read here, please complete a Contact form, or telephone Father Barrie for an appointment to discuss your requirements.

Powered by Church Edit